Booking.com
Showing posts with label Embassy. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Embassy. Show all posts

Thursday, 7 February 2019

#Cambodia - Gov’t warns tourists over use of fake visa websites


The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation on Wednesday urged tourists to avoid websites offering e-visas for Cambodia after receiving fresh reports of tourists being ripped off and losing their money.

The ministry warned prospective visitors to only use its official website as there is no legal framework in place to get back any money that is lost.

The call comes after the ministry found bogus websites – including cambodiaimmigration.org, which charged one unsuspecting tourist $300 – falsely claiming to be able to obtain e-visas for visitors to the Kingdom.

One British national complained to the Cambodian Embassy in London about the excessive cost of an e-visa after they were charged $90 by one such website, which is far in excess of the ministry’s own pricing.According to the ministry’s official website, an application for an e-visa for tourists should be made at evisa.gov.kh. An e-visa is valid for three months and costs $36.

A Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson on Wednesday told The Post that the ministry does not have the framework in place to take legal action against fraudulent websites offering e-visas for foreign tourists over the internet and called on tourists to only use official channels.

Ket Sophann said on Wednesday that e-visas ease the application process while also reducing fees for tourists. He warned that using other websites to apply for one would lead to the applicant being defrauded.

“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs calls for those wishing to visit Cambodia to only use the ministry’s website for an e-visa, or to go to their nearest embassy to avoid being deceived. We only issue visas this way,” he said.

The ministry released a letter in 2017 saying it had found 17 websites that fraudulently sell e-visas to tourists at a price far in excess of the true cost on the ministry’s website.

Sophann said he did not know an exact figure on the number of tourists who have been cheated by fraudulent websites.

Phat Sophanit, spokesman for the Ministry of Interior, and Kirth Chantharith, the director-general of the ministry’s General Immigration Department, could not be reached for comment.

Tho Samnang, an official at the Legal and Consular Department at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, told local media that those behind the fraudulent websites used a sophisticated system to defraud users.

When applicants typed in the words “Cambodia” and “e-visa”, the browser shows fake websites that have paid to be shown first in the results, he said. With the applicant unaware the sites are bogus, they register, complete the form and then send payment.

“After getting the money for the application, those running the fake websites send the forms to the ministry to issue the e-visa, but we always catch their IP address and do not issue one because the ministry does not permit brokers to act in this way,” he said.

A member of staff at a Phnom Penh tourism company said she was unaware of websites offering e-visas, saying only the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and its official website could do so.

Source - PhnomPenhPost

Tuesday, 7 March 2017

North Korea, Malaysia step up dispute over Kim's death

A North Korean embassy staff asks police if they are allowed to leave as police puts a cordon at North Korean embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Tuesday, March 7, 2017. The bitter diplomatic dispute between North Korea and Malaysia over the poisoning death of leader Kim Jong-un's estranged half-brother escalated dramatically Tuesday, with Pyongyang saying it had banned Malaysians from leaving North Korea. That was followed quickly by Malaysia saying North Korean embassy staff were barred from leaving its country. Malaysia had already expelled the North Korean ambassador on Monday. (Associated Press/Vincent Thian)
..
The bitter diplomatic dispute between North Korea and Malaysia over the poisoning death of leader Kim Jong-un's estranged half-brother escalated dramatically Tuesday, with Pyongyang saying it had banned Malaysians from leaving North Korea.
.
That was followed quickly by Malaysia saying North Korean embassy staff were barred from leaving its country. Malaysia had already expelled the North Korean ambassador on Monday.
The North's Foreign Ministry told the Malaysian Embassy in Pyongyang that it would temporarily ban the exit of Malaysian citizens now in the North, according to the official Korean Central News Agency.
.
It said the exit ban will be valid "until the safety of the diplomats and citizens of [North Korea] in Malaysia’s fully guaranteed through the fair settlement of the case that occurred in Malaysia."
.
Malaysia is pursuing several North Korean suspects allegedly involved in the killing, including a diplomat at the North's Embassy in Kuala Lumpur. Malaysia has not accused the North of being behind the killing of Kim Jong-nam at Kuala Lumpur's airport three weeks ago, but South Korean has.
.
Malaysian Deputy Foreign Minister Reezal Marican told reporters at parliament that there are 11 Malaysians in North Korea: Three working at the Malaysian Embassy, two United Nations workers and six family members.
.
The North said Malaysian diplomats and citizens "may work and live normally under the same conditions and circumstances as before" during the period of the temporary exit ban.
It also said that the Malaysian ambassador would be expelled, although he has already been recalled to Malaysia.
.
Source:
TheJakartaPost

Thursday, 15 October 2015

Worldwide cycling events to celebrate King's birthday, #Thailand


THAIS in 67 countries are expected to participate in the "Bike for Dad" cycling event in December to celebrate the birthday of His Majesty the King.

 His Majesty, who turns 88 on December 5, is the world's longest-reigning monarch.

HRH Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn came up with the plan to organise cycling events at home and around the world to honour His Majesty.

In August, the Crown Prince spearheaded the hugely successful "Bike for Mom" to celebrate the birthday of Her Majesty the Queen. The event was entered in the Guinness World of World Records as the largest-ever bicycle parade.

"The Crown Prince will lead the procession of cyclists from the Royal Plaza on December 11," a source said yesterday. The details of the event were ironed out at a "Bike for Dad" meeting attended by PM's Office Minister ML Panadda Diskul, Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan and representatives from various agencies, the source said.

"Those wishing to join the 'Bike for Dad' outing can register at www.bikefordad2015.com from November 2-10," he said.

The experiences gained from the "Bike for Mom" will be useful in organising more cycling-related events for His Majesty.

The proposed route will loop through Ratchaprarop Road, the Pratunam intersection, the Ratcharaprasong intersection, Pathumwan Road, Silom Road, Yaowarat Road, Wong Wian Yai Road, Arun Amarain Road, the Siriraj intersection, Sanam Luang and Ratchadamnoen Nok Avenue before arriving back at the Royal Plaza.

"The route will be about 29 kilometres long," the source said.

Similar cycling events will be held in other provinces. The parades will start at City Hall in each province and cover around 29 kilometres.

Prawit said the "Bike for Dad" event would provide Thais with an opportunity to express their loyalty to His Majesty.

The source said similar "Bike for Dad" events would be held by Thais in 67 countries, starting at the Royal Thai Embassy and proceeding to a famous landmark in those countries.

"Videos of the activities will be sent to Thailand for broadcasting," the source said.

The Foreign Ministry declined to comment on the planned events, saying Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha will provide details on Wednesday. Besides cycling, the country will also host other festivities in honour of His Majesty, including outdoor Khon performances.

Source: The Nation

*****
,
.

Monday, 31 August 2015

#Bangkok, More attacks may have been planned, police say


EMBASSY SAYS ARRESTED MAN ISN'T A TURK; SUSPECT HAS LIVED IN NONG CHOK SINCE JUNE
 
 THE FOREIGN suspect arrested by police on Saturday for his alleged link to the August 17 bombing of the Erawan Shrine moved into Pool Anant Apartment in Bangkok's Nong Chok district sometime in June along with another foreigner believed to be Turkish, according to the building supervisor.

Thanakorn Wiwannakorn, 60, who has been the apartment's supervisor for over a decade, told police the 28-year-old suspect and his friend were quiet and mostly stayed inside their room on the fourth floor.

Other apartment tenants said one of them had a dark complexion, coming and going at regular hours, while the other hardly left the room and apparently got a haircut and shaved his beard a few weeks ago.

A source at the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) said military and police officials questioned the suspect on Saturday night and recorded the whole interrogation. They intend to question him more about renting the apartment room, bomb equipment and fake passports found in the room.

Meanwhile, the Turkish Embassy said the suspect arrested on Saturday was not a Turkish national.

Yesterday, police searched an apartment in Nong Chok after receiving a tip that two suspicious foreigners resided there. The apartment was identified as Ton Koon Mansion on Soi Chuam Samphun 3, near Pool Anant Apartment.

Earlier, police found two bags of urea fertiliser and other bomb-making ingredients at Mai-moo-na Garden, in nearby Min Buri district.

Police found no additional suspects at these locations.

Pol Gen Chakthip Chaijinda said police believe several suspects in the network were involved in the deadly bombing at Erawan Shrine, and that they were also connected with the attack on the pier near Sathorn Bridge the following day. A team consisting of four or five investigators is working on this case and they urged the public to be the eyes and ears of law enforcement.

Meanwhile, police believe the Shrine bomb suspect was prepared to carry out more attacks in other locations, judging from evidence found in his room.

According to Police spokesman Pol Lt-General Prawut Thawornsiri, evidence found inside the suspect's room included detonating chords similar to the detonating chord found at the related blast at the pier near Sathorn Bridge.

The August 17 bombing at the Erawan Shrine at Ratchaprasong intersection, a popular tourist destination, killed 20 people including foreign visitors and injured 171 others. The attack at the pier near Sathorn Bridge the following day resulted in no casualties.

The bombing suspect is being detained for questioning at the Infantry Battalion of the 11th Army Circle under martial law.

Prawut said it was not yet clear if the suspect was responsible for the attack at the Erawan Shrine or the pier near Sathorn Bridge but police believe he was a member of the network responsible for those attacks.

He said police were waiting for the results of a DNA test from a banknote the bomber used to pay his taxi fare and other samples found in the taxi.

Prawut said the suspect denied that he was a collaborator in the bomb attack. He had told police how he came into the country but police did not believe him.

Prawut denied reports that the suspect travelled from Istanbul and came to Thailand via Vietnam and Laos, saying police initially found the suspect stayed in an Asian country before travelling to Thailand.

Prawut said the police obtained pictures of other members of the gang and were checking their identities and nationalities. Immigration officials have been instructed to prevent other suspected gang members from leaving the country.

Police have not ruled out other possible motives for the bomb attack though they believe that it could be a personal vendetta after police crackdowns on foreigners.

Police also found evidence from a signal on the suspect's phone that he travelled to a location that was linked to the bomb attack. Prawut declined to say if that location was Hua Lam Phong train station, where the bomb suspect was seen hailing a tuk-tuk to take him to Erawan Shrine.

Prawut said a taxi driver was summoned for questioning several times because he gave conflicting statements that contradicted evidence. The telephone information also showed that the taxi driver contacted the suspect several times.

After the suspect was arrested on Saturday, the Turkish government sent a letter pledging to give Thailand its full support to fight terrorism.
.
.